PhD (Doctor of Philosophy), Education, University College London
MA (Master of Arts), Education, University College London
GRSM ARMCM (Class A honours), Music (trumpet, piano, conducting & composition), Royal Northern College of Music
PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education), Education, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, University of Birmingham School of Education (credits in all subjects)
LRAM, Trumpet, Royal Academy of Music
FTCL, Conducting, Trinity College of Music
01/08/2014 to Present College Master of Moon Chun Memorial
College, University of Macau, Macau
01/07/2013 to Present Specially Invited Professor University of Macau, Macau
01/07/2013 to 31/07/2014 College Master University of Macau, Macau
01/09/2004 to 01/06/2013 Director (CEO) Hong Kong Academy For Performing Arts, Hong Kong
01/09/1993 to 01/09/2004 Principal (CEO) Dartington College, England
01/01/1988 to 01/09/1993 Principal (CEO) of Birmingham, Conservatoire, University of Central England, England
01/09/1983 to 01/01/1988 Director of Studies University of Salford, England
Honours & Awards
12/2020 Laureate of the 2020 Sino Phil Asia International Peace Award in the field of Performing Arts and Education
07/2020 Board Member of Collegiate Way International, Collegiate Way International, CANADA
07/2020 Member of Chatham House, Chatham House, The Royal Institute of
International Affairs, UNITED KINGDOM
06/2020 Member of Royal Institute of Philosophy, Royal Institute of Philosophy London, UNITED KINGDOM
12/2019 Grand Decoration of Honour Austria Knight Officer, President of Austria, Alexander Van der Bellen, Austria, AUSTRIA
12/2019 Member of European Academy of Sciences and Arts, European Academy of Sciences and Arts, Austria, AUSTRIA
09/2019 Hon D.Univ. Doctor of the University, honoris causa, Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, Birmingham City University, UNITED KINGDOM
05/2019 Fellow & Associate in Cambridge (Clare Hall), University of Cambridge, Election by Fellows and Governing Body, Clare, Hall University of Cambridge, UNITED KINGDOM
05/2019 Founding Board Director of International Collegiate Way, CANADA
05/2017 Knight Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Légion d’honneur; highest French order of merit, established by Napoléon Bonaparte in 1802 Head of State, the newly-elected President of the French Republic, M. Emmanuel Macron, MACAU (SAR), CHINA
11/2016 2016 Business Awards of Macau, De Ficção Multimedia Projects, MACAU (SAR), CHINA
09/2016 Finalist 2016 Delta Creativity and Innovation Celebration, Delta Creativity & Innovation Celebration (DCIC), MACAU (SAR), CHINA
05/2016 2016 MECC Award for Euroexcellence in Innovation, European Chamber of Commerce, MACAU (SAR), CHINA
07/2015 Fellowship, Royal Geographical Society, UNITED KINGDOM
08/2014 Fellowship Incorporated Society of Musicians, UNITED KINGDOM
05/2012 Knight Officier dans l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres de la République Française Minister of Culture and Communication, Frédéric Mitterrand, Élysée Palace, Paris, FRANCE
05/2012 FRSE Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, UNITED KINGDOM
01/2011 Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) Her Majesty The Queen, UNITED KINGDOM
06/2008 Honorary Doctorate D Arts honorius causa University of Plymouth, UNITED KINGDOM
05/2006 FRCM Fellowship, Royal College of Music, UNITED KINGDOM
01/2001 Patron, Live Music Now, UNITED KINGDOM
06/1995 HonFRBC Fellow of the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, UNITED KINGDOM
05/1994 Honorary Fellowship of Trinity College Trinity College, UNITED KINGDOM
06/1993 Fellow of the Royal Society of Musicians, Royal Society of Music, UNITED KINGDOM
01/1993 Freeman, The City of London, UNITED KINGDOM
01/1993 Honorary Professorship University of Plymouth, UNITED KINGDOM
06/1992 Churchill Medal, Winston Churchill Memorial Fellow, Sir Winston
Churchill Memorial Trust, UNITED KINGDOM
01/1991 British Council Award, British Council, Royal Danish Academy of Music Copenhagen, UNITED KINGDOM
01/1991 Personal Professorial Chair, University of Central England (UCL), UNITED KINGDOM
06/1990 Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, Royal Society of Arts, UNITED KINGDOM
01/1985 Fellowship, British Association for American Studies Award,
Oberlin College, UNITED STATES
01/1982 UCL Scholarship, Paris Conservatoire, FRANCE
Academic & Community Service
- Meeting of Residential College Matters
- Chair of Professorial Appointment Panel for Faculty of Education
- Chairman of College Masters 2017-18
- Senate by rotation of College Masters 2016-17
- FMC presentation Times University World Rankings 2016, Barcelona
- FMC presentation Times University World Rankings 2017, Brisbane
- Vice President of the Supervisory Board European Chamber of Commerce, 15 October 2019 – present
- President of European Chamber of Commerce, September 2017 – October 2019
- Vice Chairman of British Business Association, 1 August 2014 – present
- Board Member of French Macau Chamber of Commerce, 1 August 2014 – present
- Board Director of French Association Culturelle “Le French May”, 1 August 2013 – present
- Member of Macao Orchestra Advisory Committee, under the auspices of the Secretariat for Social Affairs and Culture, 1 August 2014 – present
- Board Director of Collegiate Way International (world-wide association of collegiate universities), 1 July 2020 – present
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce, Executive Board, 1 Aug 2020 – present
- Collegiate Way International Rice Texas USA 2019, Five Years on: Rapidly changing landscapes of global education, Experience Caffeinated by the Bay-Area Ease (concepts, migration, international students, collegiate development), Keynote Speaker, 08/2019, Rice University Texas USA
- Royal College of Music, National University of Singapore; and Nanyang Technological University, Keynote Speaker, 03/2017, National University of Singapore
- The Times Higher University Rankings, Young Universities, Invited Speaker, 04/2017, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
- Asean University Presidents’ Forum: Jointly Constructing the Civilization of South China Sea by Countries along the Belt and Road Initiative, Keynote Speaker, 10/2016, Hainan Tropical University
- Barcelona April 2016 Young Universities: disruptive innovators, Invited Speaker, 04/2016, Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, Spain
- Collegiate Way Australian National University, ,Keynote Speaker ,11/2016, Australian National University
- Keynote at Birmingham Conservatoire, Keynote Speaker, 06/2016, Adrian Boult Hall, Birmingham Conservatoire
- Collegiate Way: Resources – making it possible, Keynote Speaker, 11/2014, University of Durham
- Oxbridge and collegiate approaches in Britain, Invited Speaker, 01/2015, Hong Kong RC Retreat
- ELIA Biennial Conference October 2014: UM’s period of extraordinary transformation, Invited Speaker, 11/2014, Royal Scottish Academy, Glasgow School of Art & Royal Concert Hall Glasgow
- Thoughts on Residential Colleges to Masters, Associate Masters and Resident Fellows, Invited Speaker, 08/2014, City of Dreams, Macao
Chapter In Book
- Thompson, K. (01/12/2017). Living and Learning. In George Watt, Haydn Chen (Eds). Living and Learning (pp.14-133). Macau: University of Macau.
- Thompson, K. (15/12/2017). Royal Birmingham Conservatoire. In Christopher Morley (Eds). Royal Birmingham Conservatoire (pp.56-57,74). London: Elliot and Thompson Ltd.
- Thompson, K. Chapter in University of Macau, Living & Learning: Residential Colleges at the University of Macau 2010-2017. In Professor George Watt (Eds). Book of Friends (pp.1-13). University of Macau Press.
- Thompson, K. (31/07/2016). Chapter 5. In H.M. Evans & T.P. Burt (Eds). The Collegiate Way: university education in a collegiate context. (pp.57-60). Rotterdam, Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
- Thompson, K. (31/07/2016). Chapter 1 Prologue. In H.M. Evans & T.P. Burt (Eds). The Collegiate Way: university education in a collegiate context. (pp.7-11). Rotterdam, Netherlands: Sense Publishers.
Article in Journal
- Thompson, K. (01/07/2020) Paper for the Royal Institute of Philosophy 2020: Education, Knowledge, Truth and Power in an Online World. Journal of The Royal Institute of Philosophy.
- Thompson, K. (01/07/2020). Checking Out of Hôtel California: Blinking in Post-Pandemic First Light. Collegiate Way International July 2020, 1. pp. 5-8.
- Thompson, K. (15/06/2020). Post-Covid-19 wish list: what’s the first thing you will do? Macau Business June 2020, pp.69
- Evans, H.M. & Thompson, K. (03/02/2016). Visits to four collegiate universities. A Collegiate Way: A Voice for Collegiate Universities Around the World, 2. pp. 1-14.
- Thompson, K. (07/02/2019). Five years on: Rapidly changing landscapes of global education, Experience Caffeinated by the Bay-Area-Ease (concepts: migration, international students, collegiate development). Collegiate Way International. Rice University Texas USA.
- Thompson, K. (19/05/2016). Colleges on the cusp of the world’s largest metropolitan area. Second International Collegiate Way Conference Incorporating University Colleges Australia Biennial Conference. Canberra.
Book Review/Article Review
- Thompson, K. (06/2020). Macau Business June 2020 .Macau Business.
- Thompson, K. (03/04/2019). 2019 Town and gown: connective communities or a wrong turn on the collegiate expressway?.The Collegiate Way.
- Thompson, K. (24/02/2018). Profile and Interview: MCM College. Macau News.
- Thompson, K. (29/06/2017). Professor Kevin Thompson made Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Légion d’honneur. French Consulate Hong Kong and Macau.
- Thompson, K. (29/06/2017). Former Royal Birmingham Conservatoire Principal Awarded France’s Highest Order of Merit. Birmingham City University News.
- Thompson, K. (24/01/2018). Founding Master of Moon Chun Memorial College at University of Macau.Macau News.
- Thompson, K. (01/11/2016). From International Students to Global Citizens – further insights. Collegiate Way International Proceedings by Claire Povah, University of Lancaster England.
- Thompson, K. (03/2017). Derring-do Britain on course or adrift of Brexit Island. Macau Business Magazine .
- Thompson, K. (16/08/2016). University of Macau offers unlikely home for Oxbridge Tradition. The Times Higher Education.
- Thompson, K. (17/08/2016). University of Macau offers unlikely home for Oxbridge tradition – The Times syndicated piece about University of Macau Colleges and MCMC .Times Higher Education.
- Thompson, K. (08/2013). HENGQIN | AN INSIDER’S OPINION.LLC Books: Macau Daily Times.
- Thompson, K. (08/2014). Music Education, ed. Keith Swanwick Four-volume collection from Routledge’s Major Themes in Education series. ‘It provides a one-stop collection of classic and contemporary contributions to facilitate ready access to the most influential and important scholarship’. Routledge.
- Thompson, K. (08/2014). Internationalism through a strategic and curricular approach: from School of Music to Conservatoire, ed. Rosemary Phillips. Birmingham City University Press.
- Thompson, K. (08/2014). Interview on MCM College in Delta Bridges Handbook. Kit Thompson & Ralph Novotney.
- Thompson, K. (08/2014). University of Durham Collegiate Way Paper. Professor Kevin Thompson, Professor Kenneth Leung, Dr Andy Ip .
- Thompson, K. (08/2014). ELIA Biennial Conference October 2014 Presentation and paper. European League of Institutes: Biennial Conference Glasgow November 2014.
- Thompson, K. (08/2014). University of Durham Collegiate Way Introduction (Published on Collegiate Way 2014) ISBN.Cited by Gay Perez, University of Virginia.